Saturday, August 11, 2007

Chapter Sixteen

"Oh come on," Richie groaned, "doesn’t anything look familiar?"

They had been walking around downtown El Paso for the last two hours. Jon had explained to Richie that 130 years ago the town was a lot smaller, but it was nestled along the banks of the Rio Grande. The town had grown a lot through the years, but only in three directions. The river dividing the United States from neighboring Mexico had cut off the expansion of the town in that direction. The historic portion of the town that lay along the river was where the two men were searching. Jon was trying to find the exact location he had staked Toby, knowing that was where he would find Caleb and Mac. But, the town had changed a lot in the last 130 years; the only landmark that remained that Jon recognized was the Rio Grande.

Jon pointed at the river in question. "Yeah, that looks familiar. A hell of a lot dirtier, but it’s in the same place." He watched as the guitarist kicked at a pile of sand with his expensive, yet terribly worn, boot. "I don’t know, that sand looks really familiar," he added with a dose of sarcasm.

"Only because we’ve been walking around in it for two hours," Richie quipped. "We could use some help."

"And just who do you suppose we could call?" Jon asked sarcastically. "The police? Oh yeah, I can hear that conversation in my head now." He held his hand with just his thumb and pinky extended, and held it to his face like it was a phone. "Yeah, officer, this demented vampire kidnapped my life-mate and is using her for bait so that I’ll come after her and he can stake me. Yes, officer, I’m a vampire too." He took his hand down from his face and glared at Richie. "How well do you think that’s gonna go over?"

"Fuck you, Kidd," Richie answered, heatedly.

"What’s that you always say? Oh, yeah, you keep asking, and I keep having to tell ya no," Jon responded laughing, glad he could finally turn the tables on his friend.

"All right, smart ass. Let’s start at the beginning, one more time," Richie suggested. "Maybe, we’ll find a clue in what happened 130 years ago."

"I tracked Toby to El Paso. Billy saw me ride into town and followed me in a saloon. We talked for a while, and he asked me what I was doing in El Paso. I told him that I was looking for an old friend and described Toby to him. Billy told me that Toby had been hanging out at the saloon across the street and warned me to be careful that a wild animal had been lurking around town and had attacked and killed a few men and one of the saloon girls. That the wolf or whatever had ripped out their throats. I knew it was Toby but didn’t tell Billy that. He never knew what I was." The two men continued walking as Jon spoke softly to Richie. "I found Toby right where Billy said he’d be. I didn’t pull any punches. I told him why I was there, and we went out the back door of the saloon to fight it out. He didn’t act in any way like he was afraid of me. In fact, he acted resigned to the fact that I was there to kill him. Almost like he welcomed it. He didn’t put up much of a fight. It was the hardest thing I’ve ever done, Rich. Toby was my friend."

"How far away from the saloon were you when the fight started?" Richie asked.

"Several yards," Jon answered, "we left the circle of light the lantern by the back door created. And didn’t want any humans to walk up on our fight. I staked him, but didn’t leave his body there. I took him off into the desert and burned his body."

"And you’re sure that Caleb wouldn’t be where you burned Toby?"

"Nobody but me could’ve ever known where that was," Jon answered. "But Caleb could’ve easily found out that I left that saloon with Toby."

"Then we aren’t looking for where you staked Toby," Richie replied, grinning because he’d figured it all out. "We’re just looking for the saloon."

Jon held his arms out with his palms up. "Look around you, Rich. Do you see any damn saloons?" he asked sarcastically.

Looking around at the industrial area they stood in, Richie didn’t see anything but a bunch of warehouses and a little greasy spoon diner. He jerked his head toward the diner. "Do you suppose?"

"No," Jon answered. "Wrong side of the street."

They continued walking toward the diner though. Then Jon’s face lit up. "But that might be where Billy found me that night."


********************


Still gagged and with hands tied behind her back and to a chair, Mac sat in a warehouse somewhere in El Paso, watching Caleb pace the floor. Every few minutes he would stop and stare at her. It was a look that she couldn’t quite define, but it most certainly wasn’t anger or hatred.

Finally, he stopped long enough to speak to her. "I don’t wanna hurt ya," he told her calmly. "I only want Giovanni ta pay fer what he did."

Mac raised one eyebrow in a perfect imitation of Jon’s affectation and practically growled at him through the gag. She began to pull at the ropes, slamming her back against the chair repeatedly. The chair bounced loudly on the floor.

"Stop that!" he yelled. "I meant it. I ain’t gonna kill ya. You’ll walk outta here fine as rain when he gets here."

She continued her efforts to get free, until Caleb stomped across the floor and slapped her across the face. Hard. Mac felt the skin of her bottom lip break and tasted blood but couldn’t spit it out because of the gag. She slumped in the chair, but she glared at him above the gag. Her eyes were glacial.

Caleb continued talking, as if his violent outburst never happened. "Although, I should. Giovanni kilt the love of my life. I should let ‘im watch you die before I stake ‘im." At Mac’s continued silence and cold glare, he continued, "but I know you’re innocent in all of this. Hell, ya weren’t even born yet when he committed his crime."

Mac felt Jon join her in her mind. Mac, he said softly, are you okay?

Now’s not a good time, rock star, she told him.

Caleb walked over to her and bent down to look in her eyes, taking her chin in a tight grip he turned her head from side to side. "You’re a purty one. Giovanni’ll come for ya."

Now’s a perfect time, Dallas, Jon’s voice echoed through her mind. Where are you, moglie mia?

I’m not sure I want to tell you that, she answered. He’s waiting on you, Jon.

I know that, Mac, he replied quickly, and so are you.

Caleb slapped her again. "Pay attention when I’m talking to you, girl!" he yelled.

Jon felt Mac’s pain immediately, and she heard his angry roar in her head. Did he hit you? he raged.

Trying to calm him, she answered, No, I’m fine.

Don’t lie to me, Mac, Jon ordered angrily.

"Nod your head, girl," Caleb growled. "Do ya promise not ta scream if I take the gag off?"

Mac nodded her head.

What are you telling him yes to? Jon asked her.

I promised I wouldn’t scream if he took the gag off, Mac answered.

You better scream your head off, Mac.

I will not! she told him adamantly. But I am going to start rhyming shit on his ass! I’ve been savin’ shit up.

Mac, NO, Jon commanded.

But, Mac didn’t listen. As soon as the gag was removed, she chanted, "Every time you hurt me, you will feel my pain times three."

Jon stood by helplessly, knowing she would only be provoking Caleb.

"What’d ya say girl?" Caleb asked.

"Doesn’t matter if ya heard me or not," she answered frostily. "I said it out loud, that’s all that matters."

"Tell me," he demanded, furiously.

"NO!" she yelled back at him.

He slapped her again, and Mac almost laughed at the comical look of surprise that he gave her as he grabbed the side of his face. "OW," he yelled. "What’d ya do to me, girl?"

Mac’s frosty glare was his only answer.

Do you know what you’ve done? Jon asked her, his tone sharp.

Before she could answer him, Caleb back handed her hard enough the chair tipped backwards. She ignored Jon’s corresponding furious roar in her head as the chair tilted dangerously before she leaned forward, pulling against the ropes to keep from falling on the floor. She sighed in relief when all four legs were resting squarely on the floor. Then she looked up at Caleb standing glaring down at her, holding his face in obvious pain. "That’s what ya get, ya bully," she told him, coldly. "Ya ever hear the phrase, this is gonna hurt me more than it hurts you?" she asked, grinning. "In your case it would certainly apply."

"What’d ya do?" he asked.

"You shouldn’t have messed with a tenth generation witch," she told him, holding her head proudly.

"A witch?" he asked, incredulous.

"That’s what I said," she answered.

Shut up, Mac, Jon ordered. Don’t give him any more information.

Don’t you dare tell me to ‘shut up’, she replied furiously.

Mac, please don’t provoke him, Jon pleaded. It kills me when he hurts you and I can’t do anything about it.

I bet he’ll think twice before he hits me again, she told him smugly.

Where are you, tesoro mia? he asked again.

In what looks like an old warehouse, she answered, but I don’t know how we got here. He didn’t take the blindfold off ‘til we were inside.

"Why’re ya ignorin’ me?" Caleb demanded.

"I’m not ignoring you," she told him. Geez, how was she supposed to carry on a conversation with both of them?

I heard that, Jon answered huskily. I miss you, Mac. I’ll be there as soon as I can. Reach out, if you need me.

I will, Jon, she told him softly. And, I miss you too.

Mac felt him go and suddenly felt unexplainably bereft.

"I told ya to uncast that spell," Caleb ordered.

"I will not," Mac replied, with a defiant tilt to her chin. "Besides, how’re you gonna make me?"

"Why, I oughta..." he growled, stomping toward her with his fist raised.

"Uh uh uh," she interrupted grinning. "I wouldn’t if I were you, unless of course you wanna hurt way worse than me."

Caleb only glared at her for several seconds, then he finally said, "Giovanni can’t get here quick ‘nough to suit me."

"Careful what you wish for, Caleb," a softly furious voice said from the doorway.

5 comments:

fanofjbj said...

OMG!! I found myself clapping when I got to the end of the chapter. It's time for the showdown. I loved how Mac handled Caleb, she is the perfect woman for Jon, even if Jon can't stop her from doing what she wants to do. LOL! Oh I can hardly wait to see what happens. :)
Denise

T said...

As far as the showdown goes...."Careful what you wish for."....lol.

~T

fanofjbj said...

Oh No T!! Now you've got me very nervous!! *biting finger nails*
Denise

T said...

Denise,
I was thinking about posting two chapters today...but maybe I'll make you wait a little while...*evil grin*...lol.


No seriously, there will be another chapter up in a little bit.

~T

Anonymous said...

this story is great ilove it